Tuesday, April 24, 2012

NEVER SKIP A HARD WORKOUT!

DAMN!  Only three weeks into my training program and I've already missed a "hard" workout.  "Hard" by the standards set by the IKSFA coaches who ran the Level 2 coaching seminar I attended last month.  Late this past Friday night I contracted sake-itis from a downtown Japanese BBQ spot.  This untimely affliction prevented me from completing my scheduled Stage 2 workout the following day.  But after rallying Sunday morning to run the NYRR Race For The Parks 4Miler (PR 28:47) I felt strong enough to do it on Monday.  To put in perspective, at the 2011 IKFF Nationals in Michigan, I completed 80reps in 10mins.  Monday I was able to complete 100reps in 10mins with a little left over to keep going!  Also had energy to do the circuit training and cardio that were originally assigned for that day.  Here is the lesson:  When designing a training program,  the coach MUST take into account the athlete's other responsibilities like work, family, drinking large amounts of sake, etc BUT NEVER skip a "hard" workout in favor of an easy one.  That's just irresponsible.


No comments:

Post a Comment